Implementing Strategy-based Process Transformation Management for a Biotechnology Company
Strategy-based direction and priorities of performance improvement, process management and related activities.
The new CEO of a leading biologics organisation needed to align process improvement initiatives with the organisation’s strategy. The organisation grew rapidly and many of the processes are still executed manually, leading to inefficiencies and mistakes. They have started process management activities and have launched various initiatives, unfortunately these activities have not yet been executed at a desired speed.
Challenge & Opportunity
The organisation needs to scale up new emerging product units, stabilize revenue and profits for existing product units to ensure financial heath. Much of the work is still done manually as working processes have not been adjusted appropriately to fit the new business reality. There is increasing complexity throughout the overall business where functional silo thinking and working is still common.
The company used the BPM-D Application to identify which high impact processes to focus on and align initiatives with the related priorities. They evaluated existing projects regarding their impact on the strategy and identified which new initiatives to launch to achieve defined goals.
A value-driven approach was applied to design and implement BPM capabilities and processes that enabled the organisation to use resources where they provide best value during improvement initiatives.
- Define Overall Operating Model: Design the operating model to provide a top down holistic view of the whole organisation including each of its functions.
- Targeting Value: Create a value-driver tree to align business priorities and goals. Key input to enable identification of high impact areas crucial for overall strategy execution.
- Process Impact Assessment: Identify high impact low maturity process using a value-driver tree and a pragmatic prioritization approach.
- Detailed Process Assessment: The analysis included cross-functional processes from high impact areas as identified in “Targeting Value”. The assessment shows specific improvement potentials, additionally where to simplify and automate processes.
- Establish Accelerators for BPM: Identify methods and tools that streamline the execution and performance journey, leveraging the existing process management and business model architecture information.
- Define Roadmap: Define future improvement opportunities in work packages. Define outcomes, value towards the overlaying goals, and a rough cost-benefit estimation.
A compelling, fully costed business case that yielded the following benefits: