Process Mining POC for Order to Invoice at a Technology and Services Provider
Process Mining provides data-driven insight into how an organisation functions, creating visibility of how users interact with systems to perform their day to-day responsibilities. In just two weeks, a process mining platform was deployed and a Proof of Concept (POC) order-to-invoice investigation created. This provided data-driven insights which enabled a wave of improvements. Further, it introduced process mining to stakeholders from across the organisation, demonstrating its value and creating internal champions.
A leading global technology and services provider focusing on services, network integration, security and data centres. It is headquartered in London and employs 40,000 people across 70+ countries, delivering services to more than 200 countries.
Challenge & Opportunity
Process harmonisation is a key pillar to their digital strategy because it allows them to build key digitalisation initiatives around how the company functions. To achieve this, a process framework and repository were established. This created a view of how the business operated based on people’s interpretations of process. The high degree of process variations and low visibility of process compliance and performance ignited the implementation of process mining.
In order to view accurate process flows and enable realtime analysis; Order to Invoice process data from their ERP and IT Services Management Systems were loaded into the Process Mining tool.
The Order to Cash process was chosen for the POC due to its varied cycle times and recognised revenue leakage. By mining and cleaning the data, we were able to perform an in-depth process analysis which created numerous opportunities, such as:
- Able to evaluate and control business performance, set goals, and correlate process performance with key success factors.
- Reduced employee requirements, it does not take time away from their day to manually collect data.
- Quick bottleneck identification enables you to eradicate redundancies and clear out extraneous steps.
- Enables conformance checks from your own business data. This ensures you know how the processes are executed and whether they are compliant.
- Able to make comparisons between how your processes are working and how they should be working, which allows for rapid determination into the required actions to correct any variances.
- Removes reliance on time-consuming, external personnel analysis by automatically analysing existing system process data.
Process Mining POC Approach:
The process mining tool was chosen because of its strong integration features with the existing process application suite. The aim of the POC was to identify key trends, process performance and target areas for improvement. Investigations covering key KPIs for cycle time, rework and compliance were created. The project was carried out by completing the following key milestones:
- PMO: Define project team, timeline and setup relevant CIO catchup calls.
- KPI Scoping: identify critical KPIs to measure process performance and determine data requirements.
- Data Extraction: export the relevant data from one or more systems before finding and integrating the target data attribute fields.
- Data Clean Up: the ‘data dumps’ extracted from the system require reformatting to remove redundant data lines and to allow for successful integration for both cross system alignment and importation into the process mining tool.
- Process Monitoring: setup live E2E process monitoring with relevant KPIs.
- Standards: build standard templates and methods to conduct future Process Mining projects.
- Investigation Design: create investigations and dashboards for regular management and reporting.
- Project Summaries: summarise your findings from each investigation, build improvement initiatives with the business case identified.
- Present Findings: demonstrate the capabilities of tools by creating videos of the investigations.
In just 2 weeks, BPM-D were able to: integrate client system data into the Process Mining tool, create four investigations for each of the key KPIs, identify the best and worst performing regions, analyse potential root causes, evaluate the insights and create an overall summary dashboard.
The following insights were discovered through the Process Mining investigations: