Digital Transformation of Integrated Supply Chain at a Global Technology Company
A faster, seamless and more sustainable integrated supply chain implementation with an estimated saving of $55M over five years.
A global technology company was unveiling and implementing a new integrated supply chain S&OP (Sales & Operations Planning), end to end process, backed by a brand-new Demand and Supply Planning tool to fully integrate with several ERPs. The company has several ERPs and S&OP process maturity levels across business units with very diverse products.
Challenge & Opportunity
The Integrated Supply Chain function at the global technology company was implementing a new digital solution to assist with demand planning, supply planning, production planning, and the new S&OP processes.
With several ERPs and S&OP process maturity levels across business units from project-based items to physical containers to engine motors and parts, this company lagged capabilities to foresee Demand and effectively plan Supply and Production accordingly.
The implementation of the new digital solution to address the appropriate processes was estimated to save approximately $55M over five years, therefore fast and efficient actions were required.
The business process management team developed and utilized a software-based reference model – specific to the digital solution being implemented – to help customize and align the tool’s out-of-the-box capabilities with the end-to-end processes to help fully support and accelerate the implementation.
- Capture As-is process models with SME’s from both IT and business. Processes were documented in digital process repository using BPMN.
- Produced dynamic software reference models to show how processes are best organized to maximize value from the digital solution.
- Reference models were leveraged to get both business and IT synergize on what the basic requirements were for the end-to-end process.
- Design To-be processes which incorporated and aligned both the tool and process capabilities while highlighting process improvement opportunities.
- Develop step-by-step roadmap to show how the system impacted the process, along with all critical data elements, in addition to functional and technical requirements.
A compelling, fully costed business case that yielded the following benefits: